Iraq- the Garden of Eden
Because it is the Christmas season, when love and peace towards all is in the air, I thought we should do a country that has been torn by war and turmoil lately. I chose Iraq because it also has a lot to learn about! Here are a few facts about Iraq:
- the name means "the fertile" or "deep-rooted" in Arabic and refers to the rich soil of the land, which lies between the Tigris and Euphrates rivers.
- Some believe this area is what the Bible refers to when they speak of the Garden of Eden.
- the country is located in Western Asia, in an area that was home to one of the first civilizations in the world - Mesopotamia.
- The capital, Baghdad, founded in 1867 BC, is one of the oldest metropolises in the world. On the map- 32.54°N/ 44.4°E
- Iraq has been credited with bringing us the 60 second minute, the 60 minute hour and the first accurate calendar.
- Iraqi people have kept bees for over 5000 years and have used honey as food and a source of income.